Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Perfection

Have you ever had a day that is just "one of those days?"

The kind of day where nothing goes right? At all?

I had one of those days yesterday. Not only did I make a big stupid mistake at work, but I had a really bad stomach ache all day, and then the cherry on top from this day from you-know-where was that I had one of those happy yellow envelopes tucked ever so obviously underneath my windshield wiper.....A parking ticket.

With every bad thing that kept happening, I felt like I was shrinking smaller and smaller. Ever felt like that? Like the whole world has you under a magnifying glass and everyone is just staring at you...mocking you.

Now what's one way to make an already bad day worse? Letting your bad day continue into the next day. Again...this happened to me. This morning I had the task of watching the very thing I messed up at work. I had to see my mistake again and again. If anyone in this world is not feeling perfect these days, it's me. I even had several of my friends and coworkers beat this phrase into my head, "Don't worry, everybody makes mistakes, nobody is perfect..." ...But nothing seemed to make the horrible feeling of imperfection go away.

So what do I do when I have these less than perfect days? I started to think about something to write about. And in God's always perfect way, He told me to start writing about my awful past two days. And then He gave me this scripture.

Psalm 18:30
30 As for God, his way is perfect;
the word of the LORD is flawless.
He is a shield
for all who take refuge in him.


How awesome is that to think about? The word of the Lord is flawless. FLAWLESS! His way is perfect...even when I'm not. ESPECIALLY when I'm not. BECAUSE I'm not.

And I love the second half of that verse. He is a shield for all who take refuge in him. So...when I'm having my horrible days where I feel a go-zillion miles away from being perfect, I need to realize that God IS perfect! All the time! 24/7! And He wants to shield me from that feeling of imperfection! Wow!

As today went along...I started to feel better. I started to take comfort in knowing that God is perfect and that is enough for me. And to make things turn a complete 180 degrees in the other direction, things at work started to make me laugh. I found even the slightest little thing to be absolutely hilarious. Everyone loves a good belly laugh. Well, I had about four of them in my last couple hours at work.

Want more proof to how flawless God's word is?

Proverbs 17:22
22 A cheerful heart is good medicine,
but a crushed spirit dries up the bones.


My crushed spirit the past couple days left me feeling like dry bones...but when I laughed today and had a cheerful heart...I felt cured. I felt like me again. God is so good.

Don't worry. God is perfect. His ways are perfect. And that's enough for us. We don't need to be perfect. Take comfort.

Until next time,

ST

1 comment:

  1. totally can relate and appreciate the encouragement :)

    ReplyDelete