Thursday, July 8, 2010

Vinegar

Has anyone ever done or said something to you that just made you want to scream? Like the kind of angry that leaves you gripping the handles of your desk chair so hard that you feel you could rip them off without even trying?

It's so hard to resist the urge to tell people "how you really feel" and just rattle off all the reasons why you want to punch their lights out. It's hard to comprehend why a person would choose to do things in a way that hurts your feelings so much, when you know that you yourself would handle the situation VERY differently. Ever had anything like this happen to you?

It happens to me all the time. It happened today. But you know what phrase constantly comes back into my mind?

"You get more flies with honey than you do with vinegar."

Anyone's parents ever told them this cliche phrase before? Believe me, mine have. Plenty of times.

The Bible has it's own rendition of this little phrase in the book of Romans.

Romans 12:17-21
17Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody. 18If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. 19Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: "It is mine to avenge; I will repay,"[d]says the Lord. 20On the contrary:
"If your enemy is hungry, feed him;
if he is thirsty, give him something to drink.
In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head."[e] 21Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.


God says it's His job to avenge wrongdoing. It's our job to always show the love of Christ to everyone we're around at all times. Even if it means being the person who has something horrible done to them, and just taking it. Do not be overcome with evil, but overcome evil with good. I think we all could use a little of this in our every day lives. I know I could.

Overcome evil with some good today.

Until next time,

ST

3 comments:

  1. Though I have never heard the phrase, "you get more flies with honey than you do with vinegar", I can definitely say that Romans 12:21 has played a huge role in my daily decisions. I can't say that I always make 'good' decisions, but I know that the more that we do, the more we show Christ's love to the world.

    I grew up hearing the phrase, "don't fight fire with fire". It is the same basic concept. Evil avenging evil creates an endless cycle until someone steps in and, through love, fights evil with good.

    Most have heard Luke 6:27-31...
    "But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. Do to others as you would have them do to you."

    Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW- Check out www.elevationchurch.org and click on 'current sermon'. His sermon this weekend was on Romans 12:17-21. His breakdown was very similar to yours. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this post. It's a hard thing to remember, especially in the moment.

    ReplyDelete