Thursday, February 3, 2011

Guilt or Regret?

Ever said something to someone that you IMMEDIATELY regret and wish you could take back? Like as the words were coming out of your mouth it felt like a slow motion "NOOOO" in your head. And you feel horrible after you say it, but there's nothing you can do. The damage has already been done.

I have one of these instances from when I was little that I still regret to this day. I was probably a bratty pre-teen or something like that when this happened. My family and I were living in an apartment at the time because our business was struggling and my parents had to cut costs as much as possible, so downsizing temporarily to an apartment was one of the ways they did that.

A couple times during our stay there, the economy started to get better and it seemed as though we may be able to move back into a house. And then - things like 9/11 happened...sending the economy TANKING again. As a younger kid I didn't understand how at one second we were looking at house plans and the next second all of our plans and hopes were thwarted.

As an inherent part of their being, Dads want to provide for their family. Always. No matter what sacrifices they have to make, they want to make sure their family is taken care of. So my Dad was always trying to be positive and encourage us that the economy was doing great and we'd be able to go back to normal soon. I have so much respect for my Mom and Dad for all they did for us during this hard time in our family's life. Anyway, back to the bratty pre-teen that I was during this story. My Dad and I were talking one day, and he said "Sarah, things are looking good for the economy and the store and hopefully we can get into a house soon!"

And then the slow motion hurtful words came out of my mouth. I looked him dead in the eye and said...

"Dad, I'll believe it when I see it."

You should have seen the way his face fell. He worked his whole life to provide for me and there I was throwing back in his face everything he wanted to do for me and our family. I still apologize to him to this day for those hurtful words I said. I'd do anything to take them back. But I can't.



We're this way with God all the time aren't we? Something doesn't go our way and we throw a spiritual temper tantrum and tell God, "Hey, I'll believe what you say you'll do when I see it happening." Our faith kind of sucks sometimes, but hey we can't help it, we're inherently selfish. It's part of that thing called being human.

We do things in life that we regret all the time. We want to take them back. We WISH we could build a time machine and take back every awful thing we've ever done or every hurtful thing we've ever said.

Wanna know the cool thing? God has this neat thing called FORGIVENESS! And when God says he forgives us, he doesn't remember our sinful things anymore! Here are a couple verses from the Bible about this.

Jeremiah 31:34
"...'For I will forgive their wickedness
and will remember their sins no more.'
"

Hebrews 10: 16-17
"16 “This is the covenant I will make with them
after that time, says the Lord.
I will put my laws in their hearts,
and I will write them on their minds.”
17 Then he adds:
Their sins and lawless acts
I will remember no more
.”


Just like I don't need to feel guilty about the hurtful words I said to my Dad because he said he forgave me, it's the SAME THING with God! When He promises He forgives us when we confess our sins to Him, we don't have to feel regret or guilt anymore! God doesn't remember our sins anymore, so why should we?

I pray that you find encouragement from this. These verses sure help me when I struggle with guilt or regret.

Til next time,

ST

1 comment: