Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Missing the Bus

I had an interesting thing happen to me today.

I got a phone call this morning saying I was needed to cover for someone in the main office (I hover between two offices). So I left a few minutes early, mainly so I could get a good parking spot in this teeny little lot that is WAY too small for our building, but also so I could catch the bus across campus to cover for my coworker. I grabbed my morning paper like I always do, and proceeded to walk to the front of the building to wait on the bus (It's WAY too cold to wait outside...obviously).

Before I could even get to the door, THERE'S THE BUS! I started to hurry by some people to get outside and catch the bus before it leaves (isn't it funny how when you walk with a purpose people just magically get out of your way? Yep, I love that). The bus is about to pull up to its stop....wait...no it couldn't be...the bus ISN'T STOPPING! That dang bus drove right past its stop and didn't even consider if someone (um, me) needed to get on! I vigorously waved my newspaper in the air as I start to jump up and down and run after the bus shouting, "HEYYY WAIT FOR MEEEE!!!!" Funny, the bus driver clearly couldn't hear me but I still thought yelling was a good idea. Kind of like when you're in the car and someone cuts you off, you think it's appropriate to shout "YOU IDIOT" at them...but nope, they can't hear you. Anyway, I digress.

I felt pretty much defeated. I succeeded in getting to work early, getting a good parking spot, but I failed in catching the bus to get to where I needed to be. So I stood inside, defeated, waiting on the next bus to arrive...in 15 minutes. This SUCKS, right? It sucks when things don't go the way they're supposed to. When your "bus" leaves you in the dust...whatever your "bus" may be.

But all of this was about to change. A lady who typically works in the office I was heading to walked right in front of me. I was glad to see a familiar face, so I started to tell her the story about that nasty-ole-bus and how it flat out left me. And then, she offered to drive me over to the other office! She was heading there anyway! I didn't have to sit at the 4 stops between here and there on some rickety old bus, I was headed on a direct route! Got to work much faster than if I would have taken the first bus.

Isn't it funny how that happens? Like, you think you have your day planned out, exactly what you need to do and when...and then BAM...your plans are wrecked. Things never happen the way you think they will. And in the moment...it really sucks! Your bus left you...and you are stuck in the suckiness of the situation. But then God sends something to make the situation even better than how you planned it in the first place!

Jeremiah 29:11
11 "For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD,
“plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."


God knew that bus was going to leave me, but He also knew that my colleague was about to walk past me and offer me a ride.

We all have situations like this. Don't let the bus leaving you get you down, but look forward to the car that God is excited to provide for you. He knows what's coming next even when we don't...even when we can't see any good coming from the situation...God knows. And God is good.

Have a GREAT day!!

Til next time,

ST

No comments:

Post a Comment