Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Rest

Have you ever felt like no matter what you do, you can't ever take a break? Relaxing is out of the question, and rest...just kiss that goodbye all together.

I don't think my cousin will mind me sharing a little story with you. Ok so yesterday, my cousin and I had a great phone conversation catching up about life, college, families, sports, and all the stress in between. She spent a little time sharing with me some things that really were giving her a hard time in college. She said she's got so much on her plate, that sometimes it's hard for her to find any peace or any rest or relaxation. So I tried to share a little piece of whatever wisdom I gained while I was in college, and tried my best to help her out. And by the end of our talk, I was happy because I got to catch up with her, and she was happy because she got to get some of those stressful things off her chest. She said it was one of the first times lately she's felt a little bit of peace. So that was a win in my eyes for both of us!

But I got to thinking...we ALL have experienced stuff like what my cousin is going through right now. Some of us are still right in the thick of it every day. We don't know when we'll get a break, we feel beaten up at the end of every day, we don't even know how to relax anymore.

I've felt like this a little the past few days. I've had some things weighing on my mind and heart that were just making my mind go nuts! My brain was on thinking overload and I really just needed a mental break from it all. And talking to a couple of my girls about the things going on in my life really made me feel a lot better, and I know my friends were glad they could be there for me.

Isn't this exactly what our relationship with our Heavenly Father ought to be like? Life gets to be too much for us, and when we need to talk...we go to the Lord in prayer and lay everything down at His feet. Just as I was so happy to talk to my cousin, and my friends were so happy to listen to what I had going on, God LOVES when His children talk to Him! He knows how stressed out we are, and He wants to take away our burdens from us.

Here are some great verses in the Bible where God talks about giving rest to His children.

Psalm 16:8-10
8 I keep my eyes always on the LORD.
With him at my right hand, I will not be shaken.

9 Therefore my heart is glad and my tongue rejoices;
my body also will rest secure,
10 because you will not abandon me to the realm of the dead,
nor will you let your faithful[a] one see decay.

Psalm 62:5-6
5 Yes, my soul, find rest in God;
my hope comes from him.
6 Truly he is my rock and my salvation;
he is my fortress, I will not be shaken.

Psalm 91:1
1 Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High
will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.

Matthew 11:28-30
28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.
29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart,
and you will find rest for your souls.
30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”



And just as my cousin felt better after talking to me, and I felt better after talking to my friends, so we all will feel better after talking to God about everything that goes on in our lives. Lay it at His feet and forget about it. He wants to take away all the madness from us and let us rest in knowing our Heavenly Daddy is taking amazing care of us! Enjoy the rest and peace that comes from our God.

Til next time,

ST

1 comment:

  1. I am so bad about not relying on this truth. Eventually you learn the hard way that you can't take all of life's burdens on your back. After so much falling, giving everything to Him feels GREAT.

    Good stuff...

    ReplyDelete