Monday, March 28, 2011

Disaster

Have you ever had something in your life that you would call a complete disaster?

No matter who we are, I think each of us has experienced some sort of disaster in our lives. The degrees of disaster are different...but when we're experiencing it, to us, it's the worst thing ever. It could be a failed test in college, a break-up with a significant other, the loss of a parent, a failed business deal, and the list goes on and on. Fill in the blank for your own personal disaster.
"The time ______ happened."

During those times, you feel lost, alone, afraid, sad, maybe even angry. Angry at the situation, lost because you don't know what comes next, alone because you feel as though you're the only one suffering...etc.

Another disaster that we have been seeing all over the news lately is the earthquake and tsunami disaster in Japan. I'm not there, but I have a feeling that those people feel all those same emotions. Sad that they can't find their loved ones, angry because their home is gone, lost because they don't know how they'll bounce back from this, alone because they feel as though God has forgotten them. Just thinking about their situation over there is enough to make anyone stop in their tracks and be still for a moment.

I think too many times in our lives we only want to praise God when something has gone our way, when it is something we wanted to happen, when it benefits us. But God is all-powerful and all-knowing, shouldn't we praise Him even when things are going horribly wrong? When it feels like our world is caving in around us?

Look at the book of Job in the Bible. Job had everything he owned taken away from him, and yet, he still knew who God was and praised Him despite all of his suffering.

Job 1:20
"...The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away;
may the name of the LORD be praised.”

Job 2:9-10

9 "His wife said to him, 'Are you still maintaining
your integrity? Curse God and die!'
10 He replied, 'You are talking like a foolish woman.
Shall we accept good from God, and not trouble?'"


Even when Job was covered in sores and his sons and daughters had been killed, he still praised God.



The other day while I was driving in my car, I had my iPod on shuffle mode, and I knew a specific genre that I wanted to hear. Well, my iPod decided it wanted me to hear a different category of tunes, songs from my worship playlist. One in particular stood out to me. The song was the David Crowder Band song called, "Never Let Go."

This song talks about how when times are the worst in our lives, God never lets go of us. Here are some verses that back this song up.

Deuteronomy 31:6
6 Be strong and courageous.
Do not be afraid or terrified because of them,
for the LORD your God goes with you; he will
never leave you nor forsake you.”

Isaiah 41:10

10 So do not fear, for I am with you;
do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you;
I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.



I listened to the song and started crying in my car. It just struck such a cord in my heart that I hope I can share with you all. It was just such a crazy reminder for me that we need to praise God no matter what is going on in our lives. And take comfort in the fact that when bad things happen, God hasn't forgotten us. Because He's a loving Father! What kind of Father would leave their children alone when they are struggling? Take comfort, my friends. God hasn't left you. You're not alone. He never lets go.

Click here to listen to "Never Let Go" by David Crowder Band

Hope you enjoyed the song and it touched your heart as much as it touched mine. Your disaster is never too big for God to handle.
Til next time,
ST

No comments:

Post a Comment