Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Refuge

We had a terrible storm hit the south east last night. In Columbia, South Carolina, the strongest winds were measured at 75mph, and I've heard that in Tennessee winds topped around 100mph.





It's crazy to me how all of a sudden everything seems to be going fine and then BAM. A storm comes in and just tears up everything. Your pretty yard is now a mess. Your house that you thought would keep you safe was torn in half by a tree. Everything is in disarray. Your power is out. Your car is flipped over. Everything you thought would protect you and provide you refuge is now turned inside-out.

Many people in our area are experiencing this today as they wake up. The storm is over, but the effects are long-lasting. They don't know what to do.




Ever feel like this in life? You're going along just fine and dandy and then WHAM. A storm hits you and makes your life crazy and unbelievably challenging. Things who you thought would protect you or keep you safe let you down. People you trust leave you hanging out to dry. The list goes on and on. And if you let it, the pressure of it all can be too much to bear.

Good thing we have a God who promises to be our constant refuge. Just in the book of Psalms alone, the word "refuge" is mentioned 43 times. When a word is repeated over and over in the Bible like that, it is repeated for a reason! God wants us to know that He will ALWAYS be there for us and provide us refuge from all of the storms life throws at us!

Psalm 59:16
16 But I will sing of your strength,
in the morning I will sing of your love;
for you are my fortress,
my refuge in times of trouble.

Psalm 71:3
3 Be my rock of refuge,
to which I can always go;
give the command to save me,
for you are my rock and my fortress.

Psalm 91:2
I will say of the LORD, “He is my refuge and my fortress,
my God, in whom I trust.”


God promises to be our refuge in times of trouble. He promises to hold us and take care of us. If we don't believe that, then we're calling God a liar. And God OBVIOUSLY isn't a liar. So believe what His word says. Believe it, take a deep breath, and trust that whatever storm has left damage in your life, God will take care of you.

Til next time,
ST

1 comment:

  1. And by the way, the sun is shining today :) Perfect proof that the storm may be bad but it won't last forever!

    Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete