Monday, January 30, 2012

One of THOSE Days...

Have you ever had a day where it seems like the walls around you are crashing in?

I think we'd all be lying if we said we haven't ever felt that way.

It's kind of hard not to be overwhelmed by the stress of every day life. Phones ringing, emails beeping...feeling pressure to be thinner, wealthier, more successful at work...sitting in traffic, worrying about bills, feeling tired, needing sleep, wishing it would be Friday already...it's enough to make ANY person want to snap!

One day last week I felt all of those pressures all in one day and I did reach my boiling point.

I came home from work that day, plopped my sad little self on the couch, and cried until my eyes felt like they couldn't cry anymore.

Here's a list of stuff that was wrong with me:
Negative self-image.
Worries about money.
Guilt about not working out (enhancing the negative self-image).
Anxiety about having lost weight and then having NONE of my clothes fit correctly (more negative self-image).
More anxiety because I can't afford new clothes or to get my current ones tailored (you guessed it, more negative self-image).


I decided it was a good idea to go pout in my bed and close the blinds and sit in the dark and feel bad for myself.

Then, some really cool things happened.

First, I talked with my mom and she really put some things into perspective for me:
1. At least you HAVE clothes to wear.
2. Be proud of having lost weight. Would you rather have anxiety about having GAINED it?
3. Your situation financially might feel bad, but it could ALWAYS be worse.
4. God promises to always take care of you.
5. You should make a list of all of your blessings.


She is so wise. I stopped crying, but stayed in my bed because I wanted to feel sorry for myself just a little while longer. But THEN, God got a hold of me.

Text Message: "Hey Sarah, I was just looking through some of your pictures, and you've changed so much! You look great!"


Talk about hearing EXACTLY what you needed to hear at the exact moment you needed to hear it.

I realized that Satan was just trying to make me feel miserable among all of the things I should have been thankful for:
1. I felt a negative self image, but I should have been grateful and realized that I am God's child and He created me and I am fearfully and wonderfully made. (Psalm 139:13-16)
2. I felt stress and worry about money, but I should be grateful that God has provided me with what I have, and trust that God meant what He said when He promised to take care of me. (Matthew 6:25-34 This even talks about not worrying about clothes!! Crazy!!)


God wants to bless His children, and Satan wants to cloud our vision so we don't recognize those blessings. (1 Peter 5:8)

I needed that time to be quiet and alone and process all of these feelings and emotions. God tells us it's good to be quiet and still. Enter one of my favorite Bible verses. (Psalm 46:10)

So if you're having one of THOSE days, ask yourself, "Is this the devil trying to cloud my vision from seeing God's blessings?" or "Do I need to be still and realize that God wants good things for me?"

I pray that you won't let the stress of everyday life get to you like it got to me. But good news, if you fall, God will always be there to pick you up again! Please let me know if there is any way I can pray for you.

Til next time,
ST

No comments:

Post a Comment