Tuesday, March 30, 2010

A Little Bit Goes a Long Way







The title of this article basically sums up the happenings of my day today.

To start the day off, a happy little tune was played on my phone at 6am as a sign that I needed to wake up. However, this happy song sounded like a death song due to the fact that I had gone to bed at 1:30am, what only felt like minutes before. I was dreading the fact that I had so much to do today, and was sure that my little bit of sleep would not last me long.

Then, I had a small breakfast...which was a HUGE problem. Hunger for me is like a perpetual itch...it's always there, it's annoying, and I constantly want to do something to make it go away. So I knew my little breakfast would not go a long way.

Next, I had just a little bit of time to shoot my entire journalism story. I'm reporting about an event that happened on campus today and today only, so the pressure was on. Now don't get me wrong, I was totally completely 100% in favor of skipping class to film my story, but I don't know how much my Spanish professors would love that. So hello pressure. I feared that my little bit of time that I had to shoot my story wouldn't be enough to get everything done. My plan of attack was to get in, shoot my video, talk to a couple people, and get out of there as fast as I could.

So I take on the day full speed ahead, and Jesus totally rocked my world today.

First, I've had enough energy today to shoot video for two hours before class, attend and participate in two classes, shoot video for another hour after class, begin editing, AND attend my jazzercise class. My little bit of sleep = went a VERY long way.

Second, I interviewed some gentlemen from a booth at the event on campus today, and they gave me a free bag of the home-made kettle corn they were selling. My grumbling stomach was settled when those nice gentlemen gave me a snack after our interview. Little bit of food = long way.

Third, today was the most productive video shoot I've ever had. I shot about 15 minutes of background video, as well as 5 interviews, AND my reporter standup...all in three hours. I went to my shoot with no plan, no clue as to how my story was going to unfold, and it wound up growing into a story that completely touched my heart. (You'll see it once it's finished!) So again, my little bit of planning and my little bit of time on the shoot = REALLY went a long way.

But what I think was most touching about today, was a compliment I got from one of the gentlemen I interviewed today. Unlike some other interviews I've done, today I took the time to really get to know this family before I shot. We shared some laughs and I saw through a little window into what this family's life is like. After the interview, one of the gentlemen thanked me for being so nice to them. He explained to me that other news media in the past has been very cold with him and just got what they needed and left, and that he really appreciated my being so nice to them. That really touched me, because my little bit of time spent getting to know their family went a long way with them, and made them happier. When I left them after a fun shoot, the Dad said "Thank you so much! God Bless!" That went a long way with me.

The Lord took all of my little things, and grew them into big things that when all put together, made for one HUGE day!

Don't underestimate the way God can take all of your worries and make everything okay. Remember that all of your little things can be used for the greater good of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment