Monday, March 29, 2010

Spring Fever







People around these parts always say...if you don't like the weather here, wait five minutes and it'll change. That statement is completely true. Last week I was wearing my big coat one day, and lathering up by the pool by the end of the week. What's up with that SC??

When its freezing cold outside and rainy and miserable, I don't mind being stuck inside all day. In fact, I prefer it. It's those kinds of days where you want to stay inside more than anything in the world. Imagine...hot chocolate...fireplace...a good book...and snuggling. Perfect! Too bad this little scenario goes flying out the window as soon as one ounce of warmth comes around. We here in the South are so obsessed with Spring coming around that we almost force ourselves into Spring mode before its necessarily appropriate. For example, I went to one of Carolina's first baseball games of the season. It was gorgeous out...sunny, 63 degrees, and not a cloud in sight. It was then that I started getting my first symptoms of Spring fever. I wore a tanktop, jeans, and flip flops. The sun was so intense that I even got a hint of a tan line...talk about THRILLED! Too bad that the second the sun started going down in about the fifth inning, the temperature dropped RADICALLY...leaving me with goosebumps the size of peas all over my skin. Case and point of forced Spring mode. I believe it snowed again that next weekend. We live in a weird state...

I've also noticed that temperature is completely relative. That particular day at the baseball game, 63 degrees and sunshine was heavenly. However, this past Friday, my roommate and I tried to force Spring mode again by laying out by the pool in the cloudy weather. No matter how hard we wished, those clouds weren't budging. It was kind of like they were laughing at us every time the wind blew..."Haha stupid humans you aren't getting sunshine today!" Anyway...that day it was 69 degrees out and I distinctly remember my roommate saying, "oh my gah its SO FREEZING!"...when the weeks before we were reveling in the 63 degree day in our flip flops and tank tops. Weather is an interesting thing.

Anyway, I say all this to say that my Spring fever is in full swing as of this week. No clouds and 75 degrees or higher every day. It's torture sitting in class and work when all I wanna do is go outside. It will take all the strength I have to not skip class and work to be by that pool. God help me. Four weeks til Summer break. Do I hear angels singing?

No comments:

Post a Comment