Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Be Still

Today I want to tell you about one of my favorite words. It's not a word that you hear every day. In fact...many of you probably haven't ever heard of it, much less said it. I don't even say this word that often, but it's not about saying it, it's about what this word means, and how it's done.

I know...cut to the chase, Sarah. But forreal, I want you to know how amazing this word is before I tell it to you. It totally re-vamped my life and gave me a new perspective on things that happen in life.

Selah. That's my word. Heard of it? It is used seventy-four times in scripture: mostly in the book of Psalms and a few times in Hebrews. Here's one definition I found for Selah:

Selah (Hebrew: סֶלָה‎, also transliterated as selāh) is a word used frequently in the Hebrew Bible, often in the
Psalms, It is probably either a liturgico-musical mark or an instruction on the reading of the text, something like
"stop and listen". "Let those with eyes see and with ears hear" is most concise. "Selah" can also be used to
indicate that there is to be a musical interlude at that point in the Psalm.



Here are some instances in the book of Psalms where Selah is used:

Psalm 46: 1-3

1 God is our refuge and strength,
an ever-present help in trouble.
2 Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way
and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea,

3 though its waters roar and foam
and the mountains quake with their surging.
Selah

Psalm 46: 10-11

10 "Be still, and know that I am God;
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth."

11 The LORD Almighty is with us;
the God of Jacob is our fortress.
Selah


This chapter is a song. These people are praising God and singing about how good God is and how BIG God is! But yet, after the big song, they take a pause, a Selah. They stop the noise of their lives, even if it's singing and praising God, and they take the time to hear God's still small voice.

Stop and listen.

It is an act of worship. Worship doesn't always mean singing your guts out, it can be silent. An act of obediently listening to God's voice. After all, how can you have a conversation without listening? You can't have a relationship if you're the one doing all the talking.

Stop and listen.

Check out this video by Rob Bell, same guy from the video yesterday, he has a great video about being silent before God. Check it out, its worth the 10 minutes.

"Noise"

The next time your life gets crazy...be still. Know that HE IS GOD. Selah.

Let me know what you think of the video :)

-ST

1 comment:

  1. Big fan of Rob Bell -- Chris is too... I've seen that video before - it's a great one!

    ReplyDelete