Friday, June 11, 2010

Fear

Let's face it: no one likes being afraid. Being afraid isn't fun. Your heart rate pumps up, your palms start to sweat, you begin to breathe heavily. Your eyes dart back and forth quickly. And eventually, if you let it get the best of you, the thing you fear can start to consume your every thought, to where you can focus on nothing else.

The past couple of weeks I've had some fear in my life. For me, it's fear of something unknown. And I think the scariest part is, the unknown will become known next weekend...and I'm afraid to find out what it is. I had a breakdown at work yesterday about it. Just cried and cried in my office.

Why is it that something can be so scary and consume our entire thought process, even before we know if it's true? For all I know, the thing I'm afraid of could turn out to be nothing at all.

I think the devil uses fear to try and distract us from focusing on God.

But in Isaiah 41:10, God tells us just what He wants us to do with fear:

10 So do not fear, for I am with you;
do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you;
I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.


And in Romans 8:15, God tells us that fear is DEFINITELY not from Him:

15For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear,
but you received the Spirit of sonship. And by him we cry, "Abba, Father."


This verse gives me chills. God didn't give us fear, He adopted us into His family as His children. So when we become afraid, we must get rid of that fear, give it to our Heavenly Daddy...as this verse says, and we cry "Abba, Father."

Dear God, take away my fear. Make it all better. You're such a good and loving Daddy.

No comments:

Post a Comment